Sunday 19 November 2017

NEELS AND ANNIE'S THREE BOYS


NEELS AND ANNIE'S THREE BOYS:  KOOS, PIET AND NEELS

I wasn't as closely acquainted with my three uncles as with my mother and aunts, but here is a thumbnail sketch:

          My uncle Koos, Jacobus Frederick after his Du Plooy grandfather, was the eldest boy. He married "Tinkie" (I never knew her proper name) and they had one daughter, Rentia, who married Jan van Blerk and had four children.

          My Uncle Piet was the second of the boys: born in Hopetown in 1903, he was named Petrus Johannes after his mother's father, the old Boer War General Petrus Johannes de Villiers, also called Piet.

He married Dorothy Louise ("Bebe") BEBINGTON on 19 Apr 1930 in Cape Town. She was born 23 Sep 1905 and died 1965 in Cape Town. During the War she served in the SA Corps of Signals HQ in Potgieter Street Pretoria with the rank of Staff sergeant.

During WWII Piet was not allowed to be released for active service from his duties for the Dept of Postal Services. However, he was in the "citizens' force" as a sergeant.

He became Post Master at Durban.

They had two sons,  Dennis and  David. Dennis married Ruth Williamson and they had four daughters; David married Sandra Bebington and they had three children.

My Uncle Neels, Cornelis Willem after his father, was the youngest. I met him only once, at Ouma's funeral. He was a miner and lived in Nigel where he worked on the gold mines.

He had two sons, Neels and Donnie. His wife's name was Bessie and she wrote novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment